Are you a fan of all the smart home items available today? Do you enjoy having a Wi-Fi-connected house? You may not realize that even your garage door opener can make life a touch easier. This is especially the case with Chamberlain LiftMaster products, which have nearly endless technology features!
Years ago, LiftMaster chose to make garage door openers that could connect to Wi-Fi. Since then, LiftMaster models typically come with MyQ technology. This lets users open and close garage doors and monitor them at all times of day from nearly any location. All you need is a device like a tablet or a smartphone.
Surprised? You aren’t the only one. You can actually open your garage door using a device no matter where you are. Yep. It’s that simple.
And that’s only the beginning, especially when you use the LiftMaster 85503. It also comes with all these great features:
- A high-quality camera
- Connectivity to Wi-Fi
- Back and forth audio capabilities
- Control using a mobile device
Look in on the garage any time you want
The camera that comes with this garage door opener has all of this going for it:
- Ability to detect motion
- Option to see even at night
- Manual rotation of 360-degrees
- Live streaming in impressive 1080p high definition
So why do all those things matter?
When someone heads into the garage, you can see who they are. Whether it’s a neighbor dropping off borrowed tools, a child coming home from school, or a worker who is fixing the wiring, you have access to that information.
Check out what it looks like when you get an alert from the door opener that someone has accessed your garage.
You can immediately see that someone you gave access to has come into the garage.
This is instant and happens as soon as the garage door opens.
How Do You Provide Access to the Garage?
You have two different options when you have the MyQ app and a LiftMaster smart garage door opener.
1. Want to provide one-time access to a friend or neighbor?
- As soon as they reach your garage door, ask the person to send you a quick text letting you know.
- Use the MyQ app to open up the door so they can come inside.
- Wait for them to enter with any needed belongings or tools.
- Use your device to shut the garage door after them.
- Do the exact same thing to let them leave when needed.
In some situations, this works well. Other times, you might be busy when someone shows up. Prefer an option that doesn’t require you to check your phone every time someone reaches the garage?
2. The MyQ app lets you have that option, too
In fact, the three access methods are totally automatic!
- If someone often stops by and you trust them, give them “always” access to step into the garage.
- Consider recurring access on a weekly basis for someone who stops in on the same times and days.
- Or provide temporary access when someone stops in one time to do work or complete a chore.
Curious how easy the process is? Take a look at these six photos!
How does it appear on your phone? The MyQ app lets you choose the relationship for every person who has access. Then select whether they have always, temporary, or recurring access to the garage.
Want to provide temporary or recurring access to the space? Don’t worry, it’s easy. Choose a day or series of days, what time you want access offered, and when to revoke access. For those with several smart door openers, you can even choose which one provides access.
The guest user will get an invitation in their email and can move on to downloading the app and creating an account. You can watch the process from the comfort of your home.
This MyQ feature provides homeowners with a way to configure notifications for up to five users to see what they are doing in real-time. All actions taken will also be included in the event history.
DON’T WORRY – Guests cannot access the following items:
- The history of events
- The camera’s feed
- Any of the functions related to configuration
- Commercial openers or gate operators
Check out a handful of examples of how this works for you
- You’re planning to have a new sofa delivered. The delivery time is between nine to noon on a Monday. Rather than waiting around, set your app. You can offer access between the hours the item is being delivered so the delivery team can work. The event history will give you insight into when people were in your home.
- You expect to have someone in to grab the lawnmower and cut the grass every Wednesday in the morning. You can set up access every week and get alerts about when the person shows up and leaves.
- You have a kid from down the block visit every day to take the dog out. They stop in at 4 pm every day so you set the app to give access at that time. You can go back in to check and make sure they visited each day.
Who knew a garage door opener was so useful?
But that’s not all!
You can even have conversations using the garage door opener!
The audio provided through the LiftMaster 85503 includes:
- The ability to communicate back and forth in real-time
- An adjustable level of volume
- The potential to disable or enable the microphone
Based on how you set up your notifications, you can get alerts when someone enters your garage in real-time. You can then speak to them whenever you like.
Let’s say Rachel has just come into the garage. You could get an alert and say,
"How are you, Rachel?"
Then you can share information with her about the job she is doing. Or maybe Rachel is a sibling who is watching the kids and you want to say thank you. You have the option to communicate on your terms!
The family home should be secure and peaceful
With all the advanced options with connectivity and technology provided by the LiftMaster 85503, you shouldn’t be surprised to get many safety features:
- What Battery Backup Offers: This feature lets you close or open the garage door from home or other locations even in situations where there is no power. You’ll never be stuck with a vehicle you can’t move.
- Why Electronic Protection from Force Opening Matters: If someone tries to break into the garage using a crowbar, the door opener will notice and prevent it to keep the family safe.
- How SECURITY+ 2.0 Keeps Your Home Safe and Secure: Some intruders use remotes to gain access to the garage, but modern garage door openers like this one keep them out.
- Why Lights and Sounds through Alert-2-Close Help: Closing the door using a device from another location? Sounds and light will alert those nearby to step away from the door.
What Safety Sensors Are Useful For: These are known as photo-cell safety beams and are used to protect anyone near the garage by preventing the door from closing when a person is under it.
- Why Use Motion Detecting Lights: They ensure you don’t step into a dark garage and need to find a light switch.
What else is possible using your device and the LiftMaster 85503?
The first four features we’ve already mentioned, but offer a ton of utility.
- Ability to close and open the door: Use your tablet or phone in any location.
- Provide user access on your terms: You don’t have to be present to hand out keys or share a password.
- Monitor the garage: Know what’s going on at any time of day.
- Communicate when needed: Have the option to answer questions or talk to users in the garage.
But that’s not all! There are four other amazing features available with the LiftMaster 85503.
- Modify and change alerts: Want alerts only during certain hours? From a handful of people? Make changes and get notifications only when you want them.
- View the garage door status: Ever left home and then realized you aren’t sure if the garage door is closed? It can cause anxiety and stress. With your smartphone and a modern door opener, this will be a thing of the past. You can check in and see if the door is opened or closed. You can even direct the door to close, no matter where you are or what you are doing.
- Enjoy in-garage deliveries with online orders: Sadly, stealing packages is a thing and you never know when the weather will change. Having deliveries left in your garage can prevent these issues.
- Check on past activity: Set up a monthly video storage subscription and look back to see who has been in your garage and what changes you have made to alerts and settings.
What do you think? Is it time for a new garage door opener?
Not sure when the garage door opener you own was installed? If it’s been a few decades, it might be time for a change. Models made before 1993 weren’t required to have the safety sensors that keep us protected today. Also, most of them have remotes that burglars can use to get inside. When you consider the fact that 9% of burglars enter the home through the garage door, you can see why we recommend getting a modern model.
Want a new version but aren’t sure about a camera? Looking for something smaller that fits your space?
No worries. There are many door opener models to choose from.
If reading about all of them makes you overwhelmed because you don’t understand the terminology, we can help with that too. Here is a helpful Infographic.
Whether you go simple or extreme, we can help. Get in touch with us at 508-563-5633.
At Caspersen Door Systems, our expertise and passion lie in garage door openers. We’d be happy to take your questions and give you information based on your budget, construction limitations, and reality.
Considering adding a new garage door too? Use our 3 styles to get an idea of what options you have and what fits your style. You can also use our Design Centre to virtually install a garage door or take a look at our many images.